Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happiness

recent happenings:

-got punched in the face by my roommate (accidentally)
-ran the red rock relay (I am too lazy to blog about this... pictures are on facebook, and if you want to read about how awesome it was, just read this blog and you will know how cool RRR is... though we got 19th place, not 1st place... http://rachelsrosettastone.blogspot.com/2011/09/red-rock-relay-champs.html)
-hung out with some cool people at park plaza
-went to Michael's and got excited about Halloween
-got a job but then decided it was WAY too many hours and I wanted a social life (35 hours!)
-talked to some good friends and saw a few more on campus

Well, about happiness... for the last week or so, my life has been in kind of this rut. Like I was not really happy and I didn't really know why. well, I did. but that's a different story. I was frustrated with myself because nothing had really changed in my life and I could not figure out why I was unhappy. Then, last night, one of the girls that lives by me came over to ask us some questions for her positive living class. She was asking us about happiness, about how we defined it and why things made us happy. and I thought about how even though sometimes there are hard things in my life, I am still happy. The circumstances of my life may be hard to deal with sometimes, and I may get down on myself, but overall, I am still happy. She asked us what made us happy. I gave her some answers that matter, like friends, and family, and spending time doing things I like, and overcoming my fears (which are all major happiness bringers in my life!), but I think the thing that contributes MOST to my happiness, or more to my overall sense of joy, is the gospel. and by this I mean praying, reading my scriptures, and following the Spirit. I notice SUCH a big difference when I don't do these things now. I lose some of my positive outlook on life. I begin to think a little more negatively. The gospel really is the source of peace in my life and I need it.

Last but not least. When asked what she thought happiness was, my other roommate said that to her, happiness was being grateful for the things around you. I feel like that is another one of the reasons I am so happy. When I do read my scriptures and pray and live as I should, I find myself constantly in a a state of gratitude for all the wonderful blessings that I have. and I love it. I LOVE to be happy!

random side note... ALL of my friends are going to the MTC now or in December. and by all, I mean like 4. details. I want to go with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment