Thursday, September 19, 2013

student teaching

aka, the thing I was most scared for... Would I like it? Would I do well as a teacher? Will I come home every day overwhelmed and exhausted? Will the students like me?

Well, I have to report so far that it has been one of my favorite parts of college. I do miss learning and being on campus and in classes with my friends, but I love being at high school even more.

I am learning so much. Some days, I don't know how to explain things and I struggle. Luckily, I have patient students and a mentor teacher to step in and help me when things get tough.

I am amazed at how similar to working with 7 year olds at a summer camp being a teacher is. I do a lot of the same tricks to get students to pay attention and to get them engaged. I still have to repeat things a lot. I thought that high schoolers would be less likely to relate to me and look up to me, but I have seen that same thing in many of them. Students who ask me questions and want to know about college and what it is like. Students who say hi to me in the hallways and make me laugh.

I still have two months to go, but I know they will be a wonderful two months!

No comments:

Post a Comment